Gingko Biloba as a Natural Remedy for Narcolepsy
Narcolepsy is one type of the many sleep disorders that can disrupt the normal sleep and wake cycle. A narcoleptic (a person with narcolepsy) experiences a sudden and severe excessive daytime sleepiness episodes that can happen anytime during the day, and even during any activity the narcoleptic is doing. Narcolepsy is not a life-threatening or dangerous sleep disorder. However, if sudden attacks of excessive sleepiness occur while the narcoleptic is in the middle of driving, cooking, going up or down the stairs, etc., that is the time when narcolepsy will be very dangerous and life threatening.
Symptoms of Narcolepsy:
Narcoleptic Woman Asleep At Work
- Cataplexy is a sudden loss of muscle tone, which causes involuntary loss of muscle control.
- Sleep Paralysis happens temporarily during sleep to wake transition state.
- Sudden and Excessive Daytime Sleepiness, which can happen anytime of the day.
- Hypnagogic Hallucinations are vivid dreamlike delusions that happens during sleep to wake transition state.
Natural Remedies for Narcolepsy:
There are known natural remedies to effectively relieve and control symptoms and effects of narcolepsy. The very first step in adopting natural remedies for narcolepsy involves doing some lifestyle modifications, which include:
- Avoid intake of caffeinated beverages
- Avoid alcohol consumption
- Avoid smoking
- Avoid eating heavy meals at night and eat a light meal (salads or sandwiches) instead
- Follow a regular exercise routine
- Schedule daytime naps, approximately 10 to 15 minutes each
- Try to establish and follow a regular bedtime.
Aside from lifestyle modifications, there are natural herbs that are believed to have positive effects in relieving and controlling symptoms of narcolepsy, and one of which is Gingko biloba.
Gingko Biloba and Narcolepsy:
Gingko biloba has been used for thousands of years to treat numerous health conditions, one of which is narcolepsy. Gingko biloba is believed to have an action that nourishes the nervous system 2 different ways, which are:
- Protects the brain cells with its antioxidant, L-Glutamine.
- Improves and promotes blood circulation to the brain.
Both actions of Gingko biloba can improve and control symptoms of narcolepsy, since L-Glutamine improves and assists in the brain’s function.
Precautions When Taking Gingko Biloba:
Gingko Biloba should be taken with utmost caution if you have bleeding tendencies, if you are currently under anticoagulant therapy, and/or if you are scheduled for an upcoming surgical procedure. The leaves of Gingko biloba contain active ingredients of flavonoids and terenoids, which can cause bleeding.
Matched Links from Dolyan Sites / Google