How to Use Gotu Kola for Sleep Disorders
Gotu kola has been proven to help a person with sleep disorders, specifically narcolepsy and insomnia. It can work by improving blood flow to the brain, thus increasing brain oxygenation. Narcolepsy is one of the many sleeping disorders that can be life threatening, when not taken seriously and without prompt and proper treatment. That is why, there are many people who are suffering from narcolepsy and other sleep disorders use the herb as a natural remedy. However, it is very important to consult your physician before taking this or any other herbal treatments, to prevent side effects and interactions with other medical treatments taken for sleep disorders or other health conditions. Gotu kola, just like any other herbal medicines, can be prepared into several different forms.
How to Make Gotu Kola Tea for Sleep Disorders:
Dried Gotu Kola Leaves for Sleep Disorders
In making a tea, you can choose either to use dried herbs or fresh. Both types have the same results. For sleep disorders, Gotu kola tea can be taken 3 times per day.
- Place 12 dried leaves or 12 fresh leaves inside a teapot.
- Pour boiling water over the dried leaves or fresh Gotu kola leaves until teapot is full.
- Cover the teapot and let it steep for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- After steeping for 10 minutes, you can now strain the leaves out the teapot and drink the tea. Honey, lemon, milk, or sugar can be added to the tea to improve the taste.
- If you are planning to make this tea in large amounts and store it inside a container or inside the refrigerator for later use, then you can. Just follow steps 1 to 4.
How to Make Gotu Kola Tincture for Sleep Disorders:
Gotu kola tincture is an extraction of the herb that is made together with alcohol, vegetable glycerin, or apple cider vinegar. Children or other people with sleep disorders who can’t tolerate drinking tea, or for those people who don’t have the time for making tea, can use tinctures.
- Fill a jar half-full with dried or fresh Gotu kola leaves.
- After filling it half-full with leaves, then add vegetable glycerin, apple cider vinegar, or alcohol (vodka, rum, or brandy) to the jar until it is full.
- Gently shake the jar, making sure that no contents will leak out. Shaking the jar once a day should be done.
- Allow the jar to sit in a cool, dry place for one whole month.
- Never forget to label the jar with the name of the herb, other contents and the date it was made.
- After one month, strain the leaves out and throw. Then leave the liquid content, as it is already ready for use.
- Taking 20 to 30 drops, 3 times per day, can be done to help in improving sleep disorder symptoms.
For those people who are suffering from sleep disorders or any other medical conditions that can be treated with Gotu kola, never take the herb without consulting your physician, since it can have several side effects that can be harmful to the health.