Light Therapy Lamp | Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light REVIEW
This article is a review of the Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light. I will be highlighting all the positive and negative points of this lamp followed by a final verdict. In the end I will also provide two alternatives.
Why Use the Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light?
Sleep is a necessity for proper functioning of the body and mind. Both quantity and quality of sleep is important. Important for both conditions is to create a sleep schedule and stick to it. This will create a sleeping pattern inside your brain and cause you to sleep at a particular time of the day, wake up in the morning at a specific time.
Advantages of having a definite sleep time table are:
Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light Image 2
- Increased energy levels
- Enhanced mood
- Increased focus and concentration
This Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light is designed to emit white light (similar to natural sunlight) in a controlled manner. This will allow you to wake up every day at the same time, thereby normalizing your sleep pattern. If used regularly you will gain all of the above mentioned advantages.
Highlights of the Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light
- Simulates natural sunlight
- In-built FM receiver
- 20 brightness settings
- Can be used as a reading lamp or a night lamp
- Nine-minute snooze option
- Halogen light bulb which is replaceable
- 45-day money back guarantee
- Brightness of light which is gradually increasing
- Clinically proven to increase energy levels
- Improves memory levels
- Will make you get out of bed faster and more energetically
Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light Image 3
How Does the Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light Work?
The Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light uses halogen lights to emit white light which will simulate natural sunlight without the harmful UV radiations. When sunlight hits the eyes, it will cause it to secrete hormones inside the body; these hormones control everything from energy levels to alertness and concentration. In a similar manner, when the white light from this lamp hits the eyes, it causes the secretion of hormones and subsequently increases energy levels.
When used regularly over prolonged periods of time, this lamp will set your body rhythm to a specific time table regardless of the amount of sunlight in the surrounding environment. Thus even in winter, when the amount of sunlight is low you will be able to wake up at the same time with the same amount of energy every single day.
Advantages of Using the Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light
Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light Image 1
The best part of this lamp is that you can completely customize the lamp and change its settings according to your needs. A few features worth mentioning are:
- You can choose to increase the brightness of the lamp gradually over a period of 30 minutes before the time of the alarm
- Any FM station of your choice can be tuned into automatically with gradual increase in sound
The advantage of using this lamp is that you will not be woken up in a drastic manner from jarring music or light from traditional lamps and alarms. You will be woken up every day in a soft and soothing manner.
Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light Customer Feedback
Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light Amazon buyer feedback chart
This product from Philips has gotten great reviews. Some extracts from the positive customer feedback:
- “For the most part, I really like the Philips Wake-up Light… The modern design is great… The lighting itself is beautiful… The product features are adequate… As a wake-up light, this product is fantastic! With the unit placed within a couple feet of your head, it does a fine job at convincing you that the sun has risen… If you’re typically miserable when being abruptly awakened to dark surroundings, then I highly recommend this item”
- “I’ve had this Wake-up light for about a week now, and I am very satisfied… I get up very early and always have a hard time getting going… This light greatly helps ease the transition into wakefulness”
- “A much more pleasant way to greet the day… I usually wake up about halfway through the increasing light cycle… The controls are very easy to use, and it works well as a bedside lamp… I like being able to turn it on low right before I go to bed and the room gets a nice glow quality that’s relaxing… Overall, I have been extremely pleased with the Philips Wake-up Light, and I would purchase the item again.”
- “I am IN LOVE with this product… Waking up has never been so enjoyable… It’s nice to wake up gradually instead of by a blaring/jarring BEEP”
Negative customer feedback for the Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light:
- “Received the product and was very excited! But it blew up when I plugged it in… Guess the voltage in Singapore (220v) is much higher than the US 120v… It is not clear that this product is coming from a country with different voltage requirements than the one it is being sent to”
- “It does help to have a smoother awaking…But it does not worth the price at all… It looks cheap and you can’t choose a lot alarm sounds: birds or radio.”
- “Now, there are different settings you can change the lamp to go to while it is in the process of doing its thing… I set it at 11, not to high, not to low. It woke me up around the 5 setting, and I felt no energy at all, just felt more tired then usual… This item does not work for me one bit, however it is a really good alarm clock, that is why I gave it 2 stars.”
Final Verdict on the Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light
From my research, based on customer feedback, forums and the internet in general I have found the lamp to be excellent. It performs the function for which it has been designed efficiently and effectively.
The negative points of the lamp from customer feedback which I have found are:
- It is costly: This point is true, at 99$ it is costly. But it is much more than a wake up lamp. It will increase your energy levels, concentration, focus additionally it will set your body rhythm to a specific schedule. This will have many advantages over the long run. These factors make the Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light worth your money.
- Controls & Interface: Some users have complained that the Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light is hard to use and that the user interface, controls are not user-friendly. But most people who used the lamp had no problem with the controls and found it easy to use.
- Build Quality- Some users complained of the lamp bulb burning out within a few weeks. Firstly this problem was faced by a very small number of people. Even if you do belong to this group, since the bulb is replaceable you can easily purchase a new one and replace it.
- SAD: If you have and suffer from SAD then this lamp will not work for you. The treatment for SAD requires exposure to light power 10000lux. The halogen bulbs on this product cannot emit light at this intensity.
Thus as long as you are looking for a lamp to wake you up every day in a soothing manner this lamp will be perfect for you. It will set your body rhythm to a specific schedule and allow you to wake up with increased amounts of energy along with more focus and concentration.
However if you are looking for a lamp to treat SAD then this lamp will not work for you. A few good alternatives are the Litebook Elite Hand-Held Light Therapy Device and the Uplift Technologies DL930 Day-Light 10,000 Lux SAD Lamp.
Litebook Elite Hand-Held Light Therapy Device Image 1
Highlights of the Litebook Elite Hand-Held Light Therapy Device
- This lamp is the current generation model from Litebook. It features a custom lens, diffusion system along with the traditional high performance LED lenses to provide a uniform field of light which is soothing yet bright.
- It has an inbuilt timer with multiple settings of 15,30,45,60 minutes.
- A long lasting Lithium Ion battery which is rechargeable.
- Small and compact design with a weight of only 1.6 pounds.
- No harmful UV rays.
- Custom carrying case is provided.
- A 110-240 v Adaptor along with multiple pins for worldwide use is provided.
- 60 days money back guarantee and 2 years warranty.
- Emits light equivalent to 10,000 lux.
- This lamp has been used in scientific studies which prove its efficacy.
This lamp will be perfect for people who suffer from SAD, those whose require a small and portable lamp. The only drawback of this lamp is its cost. It is costly because of this portability. If you require a cheaper but equally efficient lamp and are willing to purchase one which is bigger and not portable then the Uplift Technologies DL930 Day-Light 10,000 Lux SAD Lamp is a better option.
Uplift Technologies DL930 Day-Light Image 1
Highlights of the Uplift Technologies DL930 Day-Light 10,000 Lux SAD Lamp
- Sturdy construction with a metal rod for support
- Light which is both bright and soothing
- Dual set up options-Wall hung or table top
- Light weight
- Very easy to set up
- UV filtered light
- Flicker free
- Glare free
- White light with a broad field of illumination
- Has a 10,000lux and 7000lux light emission setting
- Can also be used as a reading lamp, to provide ambient lighting
- This lamp works for SAD, jet lag and sleeping disorders
This lamp is proven to fight symptoms of SAD. It is small, portable and cheap. The only drawback is that due to its size it is not portable.
Other alternative light therapy lamp choices
Final words on the Light Therapy Lamps
I hope the Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light Review was helpful to you as well as the two alternatives of Uplift Technologies DL930 Day-Light 10,000 Lux SAD Lamp and Litebook Elite Hand-Held Light Therapy Device. Feel free to go to Amazon and check out products yourself and read more of the reviews from the buyers.
Matched Links from Dolyan Sites / Google