Insomnia | Symptoms and Cure
Insomnia Is A Condition That Prevents From Sleeping Peacefully
Insomnia is a condition that affects various people of all ages around the world. It is defined as the inability to initiate or maintain sleep that causes inadequate or low quality sleep, which results in impairment of normal functioning during the daytime. In short, a condition that prevents one from sleeping peacefully which results in fatigue and exhaustion during the day.
The Various Types of Insomnia
One can suffer from three type:
- Chronic Insomnia: This condition is characterized by it presence of for longer than a month. It may be caused due to another underlying condition or it may be the standalone problem.
- Acute Insomnia: In this type, people usually cannot sleep well and experience symptoms such as fatigue for a time period lesser than a month. After the time period they can usually get a goodnight sleep.
- Transient Insomnia: This type usually lasts for lesser than a weak.
The Different Insomnia Symptoms
A man asleep on a table is exhausted due to insomnia.
Different people experience different symptoms. But these symptoms are easy to locate thus allowing for quick and efficient treatment. Some of the symptoms which are commonly found are:
- Regularly having trouble falling asleep. Tossing and turning in bed for up to an hour before sleeping.
- Waking up at odd hours of the night and having trouble falling back to sleep.
- Waking up at ungodly hours of the morning.
- Feeling tired and exhausted after waking up in the morning.
- Feeling irritated, anxious and sleepy during the daytime.
- Difficulty with memory.
- Inability to focus or concentrate during the day.
- Impaired motor functions, causing one to become uncoordinated.
These symptoms are the most common. If one suffers from them they should try to find a cure or visit a doctor since prolonged symptoms can be hazardous to health.
Causes of Sleep Insomnia
It can be caused due to a variety of reasons, but the most common are:
- Stress and Anxiety: Everyday stress when it reaches its extremes causes sleep disruptions in people. Any major event such as a death or loss of job may cause sleep disorders.
- Illnesses: Sometimes it is a by product of another condition or disease in the body.
- Environment: The surrounding environment plays an important role in making one comfortable. If the environment is in a haphazard manner, condition may be caused.
- Medication: Sometimes the medication which one takes for another disease or condition may cause sleep insomnia.
Now that the causes have been explored, let us take a look at the various cures available
Different Treatments and Compounds That Act as an Insomnia Cure
Cure will be one that removes the trigger or underlying condition that causes the sleep insomnia. Thus first the cause is identified by a doctor before providing a treatment.
Treatments or an insomnia cure are divided into two categories:
1) Non-Medical Treatments:
- Sleep Hygiene: One must ensure proper hygiene to allow the body to sleep peacefully. Simple steps such as keeping a regular sleeping time table, regular exercise, avoiding cigarettes and other products which contain caffeine and to avoid having a bed time snack.
- Stimulus Control: If it is caused due to a specific stimulus, when it is removed one will be able to sleep peacefully. Thus ensuring not to watch TV, read or eat before sleeping is important.
- Relaxation Techniques: Meditation, soothing and calming music and ensuring the room is completely dark can also be used to induce sleep.
2) Medical Treatments:
- Sedatives: Doctor prescribed sedatives can be used to induce sleep in chronic cases of insomnia. Usually prescribed sedatives are Benzodiazepines and Non benzodiazepines.
- Over the Counter Medications: Many pills such as Anti histamines can be used fro various sleep disorders.
- Herbal Cures: Herbal cures such as valerian can also be used to cure.
Curing insomnia and achieving a goodnights sleep is thus relatively easy with the proper treatment.