What causes someone to sleep with their eyes open?
Sleeping with open eyes is actually called lagophthalmos, which means to not have the ability to close the eyelids fully as most other people. Lagopthalmos condition will result in corneal drying and ulceration.
Causes of Sleeping with Their Eyes Open
- Hallucinogenic drugs
- Damage to the facial nerves which are connected to the eyelids
- Weakening of facial muscles, nerves (facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy)
- Physical damage to the eyelids perhaps in an accident
- Metabolic disorders connected to the dysfunction of the thyroid gland
- Other serious health problems like severe insomnia, severe sleep deprivation, immense body stress
- Alcohol poisoning
sleeping with open eyes - lagophthalmos
Sleeping with Open Eyes Can Also be a Symptom
People could also be sleeping with open eyes because of some other serious health problem and this would be corrected once the original health issue is taken care of. To begin solving this issue start taking notice of all the abnormal health symptoms happening with you and report them to your doctor.
Surgery for Severe Cases
In most severe cases of people sleeping with their eyes open and suffering from dryness and other negative consequences then a surgery could be undertaken, which is called tarsorrhaphy, where the upper eyelids are sewn together with the lower eyelids, which, as you may imagine is a drastic step to take, but required in serious cases.
Matched Links from Dolyan Sites / Google