What is a cure for emphysema?
Unfortunately, at present, there is no cure for emphysema as the alveoli are destroyed.
You can however manage the disease and the symptoms. You can:
- Ask the smokers around you to stop smoking in order not to worsen your disease.
- Move out of town or out of polluted / smog areas to a place with clean air.
- Ask your doctor for medicines to help manage the symptoms (doctors can also subscribe you inhalers).
- Limit any intensive physical activity as it requires a lot of breathing and oxygen.
- See in which position you sleep better and use pillows if needed to support the best position.
- Learn to breathe better and use more the abdominal muscles to breath rather than putting all the pressure on the lungs and diaphragm.
Also note that emphysema is not infectious so you do not have to worry about hurting others you love.