Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorders | A Brief Review Shift Work Sleep Disorder
Shift Work Sleep Disorder:
- Insomnia or excessive sleepiness that occur in relation to work schedules.
- Adaptation rarely occurs, mainly because of resumption of full daytime activities during days off and vacations.
- Daytime sleep is more difficult with increasing age.
- This may also affect early AM workers.
- There is no anatomic or biochemical pathology.
- GI and cardiovascular disorders may be produced or exacerbated by shift work.
- Diagnosis by history. Need for PSG is rare, but should be done during “shifted” sleep period followed by MSLT.