Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorders | A Brief Review Time Zone Change
Time Zone Change (Jet-Lag):
- Occurs after rapid travel across multiple time zones.
- Often good sleep alternates with poor sleep on subsequent nights.
- East-bound travel: Phase adjustment = 60 minutes/day
- West-bound travel: Phase adjustment = 90 minutes/day
- Other physiologic functions: Hormonal release, GI function, appetite may take more than a week to regulate with the new time zone.
- Patients with manic-depressive illness may experience an exacerbation of mania (eastward flights more common than westward flights).
- PSG: Variable, fragmented sleep, most disrupted in second half of sleep period.
- Persistence of symptoms beyond 2 weeks suggests another disorder.